Tuesday 5 June 2012

Nintendo E3 Press Conference

This is a mostly knee-jerk reaction to Nintendo's Press conference... But first, my Bingo card:









Circled:
5 out of 24 spots.  (So far... Will continue with the other roundtables will have different color circles)
-Paper Mario: Yay!  Stickers seem to be replacing badges. I need this.
-Lego City Stories: I didn't exactly like what was shown...
-Luigi's Mansion 2: Not as much as I wanted to see...
-New Super Mario Bros 2: I expected it... Mario has the Midas touch.
-Pikmin 3: I was laughing at the introduction.  It was very cute.  No Olimar though?  Interesting.  That being said... I need this now.

Things not circled:
-New IP: I was debating... I decided to not circle this with Nintendo Land.  I decided that it's another Mii series game.  And seems to have a lot in common with Pokepark... Which leaves me wondering, who will be standing in as the legendary Pokemon who are acting like assholes?  Will probably update with the Project P-100...
-New 3D Mario: I was very specific a 3D Mario.  I love 2D Mario, and I love that it actually looks like it has an art style now.
-Warioware: There is a game called Game & Wario, will probably be circled later.
-Classic Game revival: Does Mysterious Murasame Castle count?  I'm getting the feeling that Takamaru will be back soon... just because there was that portion in Nintendo Land, the mode in Samurai Warriors 3 a few years ago?  Takamaru for Smash Bros 4?


Probably getting the Black Wii U...

Quote of E3:

Reggie Fils-Amie: "Our goal with the Wii U this year, as it was with the Wii 6 years ago is to provide new and engrossing game experiences for every type of player."

Yes... I could tell completely about that "new engrossing game experiences"... what with the canceling of Disaster Day of Crisis' North American localization, no localization of stuff like Captain Rainbow, that norse game that used Motion Plus that I can never seem to remember the name of.   Soccer RPG sounded pretty new too.  The complete indifference towards Xenoblade, The Last Story, Pandora's Tower... I'm STILL bitter.

Nintendo Press Conference:

I'm going to have to use the word underwhelming to describe it.  There was nothing surprising to me. 

It started off strong with Pikmin 3.  But after 20 minutes and that was the only game we had seen so far in what was supposed to be an hour long press conference, it began to fall apart to me.  (I wonder why no White or Purple Pikmin were seen though...)

Arkham City, while I haven't played it yet, is still old news.  I would have liked a bunch of newer stuff.

SiNG... I don't care for.

New Super Mario Bros, both versions could have been reduced to a sizzle reel.

Wii Fit U: I probably would have cared more for if I actually had space in the room I play games...

 I was watching on TV, and whoever the sound Tech was desperately needed to be shot... they did that censorship mute during the trailer of Kingdom hearts Dream Drop Distance.

Nintendo Land: Worst trailer ever... seriously... show actual footage, not a long pan of the central area.  Show the attractions!  Gameplay!  You know stuff people care about.

This whole E3 has been underwhelming..

Other things:

Zombi U: Killer Freaks From Outer Space became this...  The only real reason its still on my radar is because of this note I jotted down during the press conference:  "An actual Zombie game that appears to be a survival horror game?! What is this sorcery?"

Ubisoft actually had a good showing... I'm will to say it was the best press conference.  Assassin's Creed 3, and Watch Dogs looks interesting.  Farcry 3 Multiplayer demo felt way too forced for me...

I haven't seen EA's press conference yet.  But I don't care...

Microsoft's press conference... zzzz... you say something?  Because I found the cure to my insomnia.  How many more E3 press conferences will it take for someone to get the memo that it's a world wide event.  People all over the world are tuning in.  Talking about things that are exclusive to the United States is annoying.  (I can't remember if they did this this year honestly, there was that little impact there...)  Also, Kinect voice commands.  It's novel but... um... why would I say something that takes 5 seconds to do, when it could take me only 1 second to do with a remote?

Smart Glass?  We'll have to wait and see.

Also: Kinect: Spoiling movies!

Sony: Maybe it's because I don't have any nostalgia for Sony franchises, but Sony Smash Bros, isn't doing it for me yet.  I'll probably rent, or play a demo when it comes out, it definitely needs to be a game that I have in my hands to make up my mind on.  I was shocked by the complete lack of focus on Vita...  Last of Us looks interesting. 

I also liked that trailer of the game called "Long drawn out shot of audience looking at screen while sounds of birds are chirping."  Game of the Year.  Seriously the tech's were horrible this year.

And that's my knee-jerk reactions...

No comments:

Post a Comment